One question that I hear a lot from clients and in discussions is a great one that is still being discussed widely.
What’s the difference between a Coach and a Licensed Therapist?
There are coaches who are licensed in other disciplines, like also being a Registered Nurse, a Psychologist, or maybe a Social Worker. And, there are people who hold no license at all and are still fantastic Coaches.
One difference is how conversations are approached. For example, if you visit a mental health therapist, the encounters are likely to be free-flowing and the person seeking the therapy does most of the talking, coaching is far more likely to be punctuated with goals, actions plans, and a sense of moving forward in life and the area of concern. A coach doesn’t meet a client for identifying pathologies.
Another important area is the focus of time. Licensed therapists are likely to take the client back to the time of emotional injury and having conversation to identify emotional injury or trauma and identify how this is showing up in life today like interpersonal relationships and psychological and psychosocial problems. Therapists will assign a diagnosis and structure their interventions and sessions around this model. On the other hand, coaches have more of a focus on the “now,” and do not look for emotional pathologies or operate from that perspective. Coaches are far more partnered with clients in creating plans that the client has self-identified. Coaches help you to reach your personal goals, work on success factors, and help people reach a higher potential. Coaching helps you to set the goals that link up action toward the next level or goal that clients identify.
There are areas of overlap, but there are also standards that Three Moons Medicine® has in place:
- There will be no unsolicited advice given. In other words, if you don’t ask for it, you will not hear it. Who wants that?
- There will be an unconditional acceptance of the client; that is: a no judgement zone while in session. Every time.
- Your Nurse Coach is Licensed, and you will be offered some interventions only if appropriate and they’ll be fully discussed with you. Examples include:
- Energy Medicine ~ helps to restore spiritually and medicinally healing for you without being touched (Kunz-Kreiger Therapeutic Touch™ for example);
- Reframing exercises ~ to help you think better about yourself and your possibilities;
- Writing and Story Medicine ~ telling your story out loud, changing your story, and journaling are all excellent tools to help create the physical-emotional-and mental link;
- Guided Imagery ~ A relaxing time for you to access your inner world and tell the stories and experience the relaxation associated with your current session; and
- Cards and Imagery ~ to help unlock thoughts and connections and help with decision-making for life’s events. There are many more.
A wonderful thing about coaching is that the sessions are always agreed-to and structured with the client and coach working together.
Hi, I’m Lizzie Bennett, enjoying my Life’s Journey as a woman, daughter, sister, daughter, aunt, mom, military veteran, and gammy. I’m certified and licensed as a Board Certified Advanced Holistic Nurse (Registered Nurse). I facilitate others individually or in small groups to learn their Authentic Selves with the education of an advanced nurse, the joy of my life’s events, and the compassion of a Wounded Healer. My platform for change is Three Moons Medicine® where I use Therapies, teachings, and uplifting Readings to help you understand and create your own way.