What Is A Registered Nurse Health Advocate?
Having a health support ally that is expert in the human condition, navigating difficult health diagnoses, and having the practical and scientific expertise to pull together many facets that challenge areas of health in your own life is something that’s been largely unavailable until very recently. By combining the expertise of a Licensed Registered Nurse with the skill set of Health Coaching, a new expert is available to consult on many areas when health concerns present themselves.
You might find that having a Registered Nurse Health Advocates™ (RNHA)™ as your health coach partner can be beneficial and provide many unexpected benefits:
- We understand that “health” encompasses emotional well being, healthy relationships, body health, spiritual health and welfare, living a balanced and happy life, moving your body, and making peace with health conditions.
- We understand that not “healing” is not the same thing as being free from disease or pain.
- We listen. We hear. We validate.
- We do not judge. There’s no unsolicited advice. We support you and your journey.
- We are Nurses. And, you are the very reason we are Nurses. We want to help. We want to support.
- We can offer body therapies in some states.
- We can help you make decisions that affect your lifestyle and health status.
- We can make medicalese become a clearer picture for you.
- In almost every state – as a condition of licensure – we are vested with the duty for patient (client) advocacy. That means you are important and that importance is enshrined in law.
As RNHAs™ we do not offer medical diagnoses, we don’t treat medical conditions, and we don’t take responsibility for your own life and journey. We guide, facilitate, make the complex understandable, and we help you to define your own goals and your own plans and your own steps toward health behaviour changes.
Changing health behaviour decisions can be as easy as setting an intention of drinking two more glasses of water a day, or as complex as living with chronic pain. You are in charge. The entire time. We trust you to be your own authority.
Your biggest benefit is that you create the benefit of your health care team to bring about positive health behaviour changes. With support and knowledge and action that you choose… which is vastly different than the current health care model of authority and “success or failure” language.
My personal speciality is working with women who have medical conditions that impact their daily lives, and co-creating a plan to maximize enjoyment of life, boosting health, and co-creating the best life that you can have. And you are in charge the whole way.
If you have any questions, just put them in the “Comments,” and thank you.
Lizzie Bennett is an Integrative Health Coaching technique practitioner, which incorporates “motivational interviewing” as a component. She holds national registration as a Registered Health Coach.
Effectiveness of including Motivational Interviewing combined with health coaching: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833556/
National Registered Health Coach registry: http://healthcoachregistry.org/registered-health-coach-locator type in my last name and I am in WA state.
Lizzie Bennett is a Registered Nurse and Ordained Minister of some years. She is a Nurse Health Coach facilitator, and owns Three Moons Medicine™ as her private counselling and coaching practice, a blog, educational forum, Facebook page, and outreach to support others on their journey.
RNHA™ and Registered Nurse Health Advocate™ are intellectual property and service marks belonging to Lizzie Bennett, owner of Three Moons Medicine™